AVID students must apply for the course. There is a rigorous transcript review and interview process, and not all individuals that apply will be accepted.
What are AVID student expectations?
- Maintain at least a "C" average
- Show great citizenship and attendance
- Maintain an organized binder
- Take notes EVERY day, in EVERY class, EVERY year
- Participate in weekly tutorials
- Write, Question, Collaborate, Read
- Take Honors and AP classes
- Participate in extracurricular activities
- Take the PSAT, SAT, and ACT tests
- Remain in the program
- Be a well-rounded student
- Apply to several four-year colleges
What are AVID parent expectations?
- Encourage students to achieve academically
- Maintain regular contact with teachers and the AVID team
- Become involved in the AVID program
What happens in the AVID program?
- Students receive academic instruction in writing, note taking, studying, test taking, and organization
- Students receive academic support from college tutors through collaborative tutorial groups and peer counseling
- Students are motivated to pursue academic excellence through goal setting, rigorous classes, cultural and college field trips, classroom guest speakers, and AVID team building activities
What are AVID results?
Over 95% of students who have graduated from AVID programs have enrolled in four-year colleges and universities. Two years later, 89% are still enrolled!